Software Construction

Software Construction

The field of software engineering encompasses a whole lot - requirements, design, implemenation, testing, maintenance, etc. Today, we focus in specifically on the implementation part just for a moment.

When working with other people on a project, there are some tools and terms that you really need to know before you get going. In this video, we go over the categories of tools that come up during software development and talk specifically about what an integrated development environment is and how source control systems are absolutely essential for modern development.

I then attempt a live demo using git and GitHub. I almost succeed. I think I overcomplicated things when I added four new scenes to my OBS setup to make the video… then promptly forgot to switch scenes at one point. I figured it out eventually and reviewed the material. But I left it in because… well… I would have done the same thing live in Rice 130. I shouldn’t take away that experience, should I? ;-)

We will talk about this video on Tuesday along with your project ideas!

(Yes… the video is a little longer than I promised… sorry… I’ll stop talking so much…)

Slide Deck
Software Construction: IDEs and SCM

Links

Prof. Sherriff