How to Work / Study Remotely
From UVA Online Learning:
- Get organized. Identify what you need to get done, how you will get it done, where you will do it, who will support you and when you need to get it done. Make sure you have all the materials you need for class and utilize your UVA Box account to store backups of your work.
- Stick to a schedule. Mark your calendar and stick to a schedule - when will you study, when are assignments due, when will you be in class, etc…
- Ask for help when you need it. Solve technical issues right away and reach out to your instructor if you need help or clarification on a topic.
- Find support in and outside of class. Network with your classmates and your peers to find people you respect that support your success in class.
- Leverage the resources that are available to you. Below are links to resources available to support you such as the library, advising, and the writing center.
Here are additional resources that may be of interest:
- Barb Oakley’s 10 Rules of Good Studying and 10 Rules of Bad Studying
- Tips for Effective Online Learning
- Video on Responsiveness and Engagement for Online Students
- LinkedIn Learning classes
- LinkedIn Learning collection on How to be Effective While Working Remotely
- Creating python virtual env
- Tutorial on the basics of Django (YouTube Series)
- Django generic editing views
Avoiding the macOS / psycopg2 error
Use this code at the bottom of your ‘settings.py’ file to try/catch the import of django-heroku so it only has to work when deployed to heroku and not locally:
# Activate Django-Heroku. try: # Configure Django App for Heroku. import django_heroku django_heroku.settings(locals()) except ImportError: found = False